TERMS OF REFERENCE
Position : Senior Communication Officer
Program : Communicatios
Line manager : Communications Manager
Key internal relations : Country Director, Program Managers, Consultants
Location : Bogor, with travel to field sites
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) works in over 60 countries to save wildlife and wild places through science, conservation action, education, and inspiring people to value nature. WCS has worked in Indonesia for over 20 years because it is the world’s most important country for biodiversity conservation, being ranked #1 globally for marine biodiversity and #2 globally for terrestrial biodiversity. The large and diverse WCS Indonesia Program spans the Indonesian archipelago and covers all aspects of conservation, from counter-wildlife trafficking, wildlife protection and law enforcement, to policy development, research, education and outreach, to large field-based operations covering both marine and terrestrial ecosystems. WCS partners closely with the Indonesian Government, local communities, schools and universities, and the private sector. Further details of our program are available at https://indonesia.wcs.org and about WCS’s global work at https://www.wcs.org.
WCS Indonesia operates a small Communications team to better promote conservation successes of its partners and raise awareness over conservation issues related to its programs and projects, as well as priority species. The Senior Communications Officer will support the WCS IP efforts in communicating to national and international audiences the opportunities, successes and challenges of our conservation work in Indonesia. She will be responsible for building and maintaining a positive profile for WCS Indonesia’s work through impactful media and outreach across key external online and offline communications channels; delivering compelling stories and events that reinforce conservation work, while supporting regular and efficient sharing and exchange of information through effective internal communications.
Specific Tasks and Outputs/Deliverables
- Provide support for the implementation of the WCS Indonesia Communications Strategy. This will include providing key inputs to developing an annual work plan with agreed timetables, integration and alignment with the WCS Indonesia vision, mission, conservation priorities and target audiences.
- Support the monitoring of the impact of the strategy using appropriate metrics.
• Contribute to the development and implementation of the Disney Sumatran tiger communications strategy.
- Work with WCS Indonesia program staff to develop an annual calendar of monthly WCS highlights.
- Work with the Communications Manager in developing a network of media contacts in Indonesia and maintain good relationships with journalists and media outlets (print, TV, radio, web etc.) to increase coverage of conservation issues.
- Draft and edit media articles, press releases etc.
- Collaborate with the media by organizing project site visits, facilitate photo coverage and TV footage and utilizing both web-based and traditional media as appropriate, monitor and evaluate the use and effectiveness of media materials.
- Maintain a library of media coverage, clippings, photographs etc.
- Work with the WCS Indonesia senior managers to update the country program website and maintain the site thereafter
- Manage social media sites (such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube) such as daily monitoring, posting and content development. Work with WCS-IP to contribute short, snappy media updates that can be quickly uploaded and monitor which news pieces attract most attention for future improvement of media pieces.
- To participate wholeheartedly in the general activities of WCS-IP particularly events and activities that require the full support and participation of all staff members, whether or not the focus of any particular event or activity has any bearing on the job description and assigned project objectives and activities.
- Undertake any other duties, as assigned by the Line Manager.
Please note that the above TOR constitutes only the main responsibilities and duties of this position. As WCS-IP is a flexible organization, staff members are expected to undertake any other tasks that are allocated to them but which are not part of their regular TOR, but related to it.
Required Qualifications :
- Degree in communications, media or related discipline. Special training and experience in conservation would be an advantage.
- At least five (4) years of experience in the area of environmental or conservation communications.
- Proven success record in advocacy and engagement communications
- Excellent knowledge and passion for conservation and environmental issues.
- Excellent communications skills to cater to various levels and types of audience and stakeholders.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in English and Bahasa Indonesia.
- Must be computer literate and have the ability to use appropriate technology for presentation to partners, stakeholders and potential donors.
The position is for Indonesian nationals only. WCS encourages people to apply with communications experience in sectors other than the non-governmental and/or conservation sectors. Remuneration will be commensurate with skills and experience and the position comes with full set of employment benefits. WCS is an equally opportunities employer.
Please send a covering letter and CV in English to email@example.com by 2 December 2019 stating in the subject line “Application for Senior Communications Officer”. Please also include a portfolio of your previous work or links to blogs or galleries online.