Position/Jabatan : Aceh Marine Program Manager
Program : Marine
Based in/Lokasi : Aceh
Line Manager/Manajer Lini : Deputy Country Director
Duration of Assignment : One year– with possible extension
Employment Status : Full time, fixed term
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) has a distinguished history of experts exploring and saving wildlife in some of the most remote and wild places remaining on Earth. WCS Indonesia Program (WCS-IP) has significantly grown over the last decades, and contributed substantially in supporting the Government of Indonesia (GoI) to the conservation of biodiversity in Indonesia, through its cooperation with the Ministry of Environment and Forestry (MoEF). WCS-IP currently has programs focusing on landscape/seascape conservation, species conservation actions and engaging local communities.
Under general supervision of the WCS-IP Country Director, the Aceh Marine Program Manager will directly report to the WCS-IP Deputy Country Director and coordinate closely and significantly on daily basis with other Senior/Program Manager(s).
The Manager’s key role is to lead and generally manage the implementation of seascape program in Aceh Province under the jurisdiction of MoEF. Other main responsibilities will include managing relationships with Aceh’s provincial and national government partners under MoEF’s Technical Implementation Unit especially BKSDA Aceh, local NGO partners, and private sector partners.
Specific Tasks/Output Deliverables
- Design, lead and coordinate the technical implementation and administration of all Aceh seascape program to deliver approved work plans and activities in a timely manner in line with budgets, including annual and monthly work plans and budgets, with key staff in Aceh.
- Support and lead WCS-IP in recruiting, managing and supervising field staff in close coordination with the HR Manager, Program Advisor, Line Manager, other Program Manager(s) and Director(s) as needed, including the development of Terms of Reference, individual work plans and conducting performance evaluations, planning and monitoring work and travel schedules.
- Review and submit activity reports and assist in preparing final project narrative/progress report, in coordination with Senior/Program Managers, Program Advisor, key staff and Deputy Country Director, as required by donors and/or stakeholders, in Indonesian and/or English.
- Develop and maintain a productive working relationship with the Science and National Policy Program.
- Liaise and establish good working relationships and/or strategic partnerships with key stakeholders including Aceh’s provincial and national government partners under MoEF’s Technical Implementation Unit, i.e. BKSDA Aceh, other Aceh’s local government partners, local NGOs and the private sector, to ensure the successful coordination, implementation and follow-up of project activities, as well as the mobilization of additional resources to the projects.
- Work in close coordination with the cross-cutting Aceh Program Manager in the effective engagement of provincial government agencies.
- Select, manage and supervise partners and or sub-contractors to implement activities and produce deliverables in timely fashion, including developing Terms of Reference, providing assistance in their selection and recruitment process, coordinating sub-contractor work, and monitor and evaluate their deliverables, and ensure that they are submitted in a timely manner.
- Provide technical and facilitating support to meetings, seminars, workshops and management bodies and formally represent WCS-IP as necessary in such meetings, workshops and conferences.
- Document lessons learned from project implementation and develop briefing notes for the Country/Deputy Country Directors to improve implementation and coordination of project activities, support decision-making processes and knowledge management.
- Working together with the Science team ensure that a scientific, data-driven approach is central to WCS-IP’s work in Aceh, including to write and publish technical reports, policy papers, research findings and scientific papers in close coordination with line supervisor on a regular basis and in accordance with the procedures of the Government of Indonesia regarding research and publication
- Working together with the Communication team, deliver regular updates on the project activities, including news flashes and updates for WCS-IP website and other social media postings, annual reports, and articles for brochures, leaflets, and printing media.
- Review and submit activity reports and assist in preparing project financial reports with Finance Manager as required by donors and/or stakeholders, in Indonesian and/or English.
- Provide inputs regarding the vision and strategy for WCS-IP and participate as a member of Senior Management Team to plan, implement, monitor, and periodically update WCS-IP’ strategic approach to conservation in Indonesia
- Develop project proposals, by compiling information, documenting lessons from projects, developing future strategies and sharing and discussing ideas and concept notes with the WCS-IP Program Advisor(s) and Country/Deputy Director.
- Support the development of WCS-IP’s broad approach to supporting the provincial government of Aceh especially BKSDA Aceh in developing a sustainable economic development plan.
- Undertake any other duties, as assigned by the line manager.
Please note that the above Job Description constitutes only the main responsibilities and duties of this position. As WCS-IP is a flexible organization, staff are expected to undertake any other tasks that are allocated to them but which are not part of their regular Job Description.
The Program Manager will be based in Banda Aceh, with regular travel to project sites and Bogor.
The ideal candidate will have,
- A passion for conservation and a willingness to change the world, with high levels of motivation, substantial experience and professionalism in project management.
- At least 5 - 10 years of experience in managing conservation and/or development programs and teams.
- A PhD (2 years of experience) or MSc (5 years of experience) in marine science, fisheries, conservation biology, economics, development, or other related field.
- Proven ability to plan and implement large and complex programs and manage associated budgets.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to deal with a diverse group of contacts, and ability to be a team player and motivate the program team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both Indonesian and English are essential.
The position is for Indonesian nationals only. WCS-IP encourages people to apply with management experience in sectors other than the non-governmental and/or conservation sectors. Remuneration will be commensurate with skills and experience and the position comes with full set of employment benefits. WCS-IP is an equally opportunities employer.
Please send a covering letter and CV in English to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 16 April 2021, stating in the subject line “Aceh Marine Program Manager_(name)”
No correspondence, only short-listed candidates will be notified.