Terms Of reference
Position : Marine Sustainable Financing Specialist
Job Grade : Band 4 – Class Senior Professional Core
Location : Bogor, with travel to field sites
The Wildlife Conservation Society-Indonesia Program (WCS-IP) has grown significantly over the last few decades and has contributed to supporting the Indonesian Government, particularly the Ministry of Environment and Forestry (KLHK) in conserving Indonesia's biodiversity. WCS-IP currently has a program that focuses on landscape/seascape conservation, species conservation actions, and local community engagement.
In North Maluku, WCS-IP is currently working with conservation authorities, the Maluku Natural Resources Conservation Agency (BKSDA), and local government to enhance conservation initiatives, encourage local communities to practice sustainable natural resources, and increase their knowledge of conservation areas and increase conservation incentives for local communities. We also support the local government to increase the effectiveness of conservation area management, ecology, natural resource utilization, and economic-social surveys as a basis for conservation actions, with certain key species.
To achieve our overall goal of saving wildlife and wild places, WCS-IP is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Marine Sustainable Financing Specialist.
This position will support the development and delivery of new conservation financing initiatives that will support and sustain the marine conservation work of WCS in Indonesia. The incumbent will provide technical assistance to WCS’s field programs and government, community, and private sector partners to strengthen the capacity for conservation finance and to improve regional coordination among partners. S/he will support the development of conservation financing pilot projects on MPAs and sustainable resource use. The primary focus will be on supporting WCS’s work in the North Maluku seascape.
- Develop a roadmap for the development and eventual implementation of an MPA conservation financing mechanisms based, in-part, on an already generated assessment report for MPA sustainable financing in North Maluku.
- Support the assessment and development of a potential marine resource use investment and financing mechanism in North Maluku.
- Facilitate engagement between WCS, its core conservation finance partners (EDF and CFA), and the local and national government bodies (MoEF and North Maluku Government) to improve coordination of conservation financing and sharing of successful lessons learned and models.
- Deliver updates and provide input to reports for donors and key stakeholders, as required.
- Coordinate the development of financing inputs including any assessments, cost models, management plans, and business plans required to obtain financing commitments.
- Develop local capacity of related key stakeholders to support improved financing arrangements for marine conservation, with a focus on North Maluku.
- Participate in dialogues related to conservation financing within WCS and with related partners and stakeholders to contribute to relevant WCS strategies.
- Provide support for coordination with consultant or local partners, as needed, to ensure implementation of MPA sustainable financing and marine resource use investment and financing in North Maluku.
- Provide training and share insights and expertise with WCS Marine Program personnel in conservation financing.
- Apply and promote WCS’s core values (respect, transparency and accountability, innovation, inclusion and diversity, collaboration, and integrity) in daily work.
- Bachelor Degree in Business, Law, Economics, Conservation, or a related discipline.
- Minimum of five years of experience within the private sector, non-profit, or government sectors working on conservation finance, marine conservation, philanthropy, or private sector engagement.
- Good working knowledge in the field of conservation and climate finance.
- Strong ability to build relationships with relevant national authorities such as conservation agencies and financial institutions.
- Demonstrated ability to independently establish and implement new programs and initiatives that are output- and outcome-driven.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a variety of partners and stakeholders, and to solve complex issues that involve multiple actors and/or interest areas.
- Demonstrated strong project management experience, especially in meeting project deadlines on time and to a high standard.
- Demonstrated experience developing external communications materials.
- Proficiency in English and Indonesian languages.
- Good analytical and interpretative problem-solving skills.
- Good working computer skills, including capacity for using Microsoft Office Applications.
- Concern for wildlife conservation & environmental issues is essential.
Please send a covering letter and CV in English to email@example.com stating in the subject line “Marine Sustainable Financing Specialist_(name)” at the latest on June 5th, 2023. No correspondence as only short-listed candidates will be notified.