Terms of Reference
Position : Sustainable Finance Senior Officer
Job Grade : Band 4 – Class Senior Professional Core
Program/Unit : Country Director Office
Base : Bogor, with regular travel to WCS-IP sites as required
Duration of Assignment : 1 year
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) has a distinguished history of experts exploring and saving wildlife in some of the most remote and wild places remaining on Earth. The Wildlife Conservation Society-Indonesia Program (WCS-IP) has significantly grown over the last decades and contributed to supporting the Government of Indonesia (GoI), particularly the Ministry of Environment and Forestry (MoEF) in conserving Indonesia's biodiversity. WCS-IP is structured under five core thematic programs: Forests, Marine, Wildlife Trade & Policy, One Health, and Rights & Communities. These programs are supported by cross-cutting units namely Science & Technology, Conservation Network & Partnership, and Operations.
Sustainable financing is one of the key factors to the achievement of Indonesia biodiversity conservation target. The Ministry of Planning Development analysis in 2020, revealed that Indonesia needs around USD 10 billion for conservation management, meanwhile Government budget allocation is only USD 3 million. In response, MoEF has set a target to establish a sustainable financing system for biodiversity conservation in Indonesia, as one of its key performance indicators.
To effectively support the MoEF in the establishment of the sustainable financing system for biodiversity conservation in Indonesia, WCS-IP is currently seeking qualified candidate for the position of Sustainable Finance Senior Officer. The position will directly report to Forest and Climate Senior Advisor and work with other WCS-IP staff.
Task and Responsibilities
- Contribute to the analysis and development of strategy related to the policy and regulations, institutional set up, system and mechanism of conservation financing and mitigation/adaptation of climate change in Indonesia.
- Compile and review existing investment frameworks and plans for biodiversity financing that are relevant with Indonesia, particularly Ministry of Environment and Forestry.
- Write, publish, and present policy research findings through briefing papers, policy papers, technical reports, and presentations.
- Support the development of jurisdictional emission reduction program at relevant sub-national level to ensure the protection of priority conservation areas are includes and get benefits from the program
- Support the development of conservation enterprises
- Liaise and establish good working relationship and/or strategic partnership with key stakeholders at the sub-national, national, and international level, to ensure successful coordination, implementation, and follow-up of project activities. Main communication and coordination will be with the MoEF, Indonesia Environmental Fund, other civil society organizations, private sector, donors and investors.
- Provide technical and facilitating support to meetings, discussions, and workshops as required.
- Prepare activity reports and support the preparation of donor reports.
- Support in identifying future strategies for organization including participation in developing project proposals as required.
Qualification and Experience
- The post-holder should have a degree in policy studies, forestry, economic, and/or relevant discipline.
- Minimum five years of experience in related issues.
- Good professional English skills (writing, speaking, reading).
- Demonstrate research and analytical capacity and strategic thinking
- Good initiative and capable of working independently as well as an effective team player
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people with multidisciplinary and multicultural backgrounds.
- Experience working with a broach and diverse networks of group and individuals
Please send a cover letter and CV in English to firstname.lastname@example.org stating in the subject line “Sustainable Finance Senior Officer_(name)” at the latest on September 27th, 2023. No correspondence as only short-listed candidates will be notified.