TERMS OF REFERENCE
Job Title : Researcher - Commodity Supply Chains
Job Grade : Band 3 - Class Professional Core
Base : Singkil/Subulussalam, Aceh Province, with possible travel
to Aceh Selatan District
Duration : 3 Months (June-September 2022)
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) has a distinguished history of experts exploring and saving wildlife in some of the most remote and wild places remaining on Earth. WCS Indonesia Program (WCS-IP) has significantly grown over the last decades, and contributed substantially in supporting the Government of Indonesia (GoI), particularly Ministry of Environment and Forestry (MoEF) in conserving Indonesia’s biodiversity. WCS-IP currently has programs focusing on landscape/seascape conservation, species conservation actions and engaging local communities.
In Aceh, WCS-IP is currently working closely with Balai Konservasi Sumber Daya Alam (BKSDA) Aceh to enhance the protection of Singkil Wildlife Reserve (SWR) and its buffer zone while delivering positive livelihood outcomes for vulnerable smallholder farming communities, including by reforming private sector operations and supply chains. The ongoing program has selected villages for pilot implementation around SWR, where we will work with partners and related stakeholders to support smallholder livelihoods and reduce encroachment pressures.
- Identify the parties who pose a risk of illegal Fresh Fruit Bunch (FFB) sourcing from SWR, examining parties who sources FFB from all areas (both legal and illegal), and disseminating information to mills engaged in this program.
- Conduct desk-stop study related to the commodities driving land cover change in the SWR landscape and in six selected villages around SWR
- Co-develop the supply chain research plan with WCS staff
- Conduct supply chain research in line with the plan
- Conduct initial screening/cleaning of the collected data and information
- Enter the selected data and information to a data and information system
- Prepare the supply chain report
- Support the preparation of report, documentation, and other materials as the basis to engage relevant stakeholders in the landscape.
Qualifications and Experience
- Have a deep understanding of the oil palm sector and supply chains
- Have experience in developing and implementing supply chain research.
- Ability to develop a brief report related to the supply chain research.
- Ability to work independently and in a team, proactively, and flexibly.
- Good judgement, ability to work under pressure and respond quickly to deadlines.
The position is for Indonesian nationals only. WCS encourages people to apply with experience in sectors other than the non-governmental and/or conservation sectors. Remuneration will be commensurate with skills and experience and the position comes with full set of employment benefits. WCS is an equally opportunities employer.
Please send a covering letter and CV in English to email@example.com stating in the subject line “Researcher - Commodity Supply Chains” at the latest on 17 June 2022. No correspondence as only short-listed candidates will be notified.