Position/Jabatan : Program Manager for Aceh
Program : Marine
Based in/Lokasi : Aceh
Line Manager/Manajer Lini : Deputy Country Director
Duration of Assignment : One year– with possible extension
Employment Status : Full time, fixed term
The Wildlife Conservation Society’s Indonesia program aims to conserve marine resources vital to the protection and sustainability of a wide range of human activities and livelihoods. Consequently, conservation efforts cannot be separated from the management of fisheries or interaction with coastal communities. WCS employs a rigorous scientific approach to build capacity, strengthen management and inspire community stewardship for the protection and sustainable use of critical marine ecosystems, fisheries and threatened species. To achieve these goals, WCS employs a science-based approach to assisting the Indonesian government to establish and manage marine protected areas (MPAs), manage small-scale fisheries, and protect sharks and rays in Aceh, North Sulawesi, West Nusa Tenggara, and North Maluku plus several other sites. The WCS Indonesia Marine program focuses on the establishment and effective management of MPAs and development of sustainable fisheries, as interlinked strategies to secure and manage Indonesia’s coastal marine resources. WCS is committed to assisting the Government of Indonesia to meet its national and international commitments to MPA establishment and management – including the commitment to achieve 20 million hectares of MPAs by 2020. MPAs benefit both biodiversity and fisheries management by protecting habitats and protecting breeding populations of important marine organisms. The basis of all of our work is scientific data. Our teams of marine biologists, fisheries scientists, and socioeconomic specialists inform project design with baseline surveys. Regular monitoring of resources informs all subsequent decision making.
Under general supervision of the WCS Indonesia Country Director, the Aceh Program Manager will directly report to the WCS Indonesia Deputy Country Director and coordinate closely and significantly on daily basis with other Program Manager(s) of the WCS Indonesia Marine team. The Manager key role in general is to lead and generally manage the implementation of WCS marine programs in Aceh, and with limited support to Karimunjawa National Park, a single WCS project site. Other main responsibilities will include developing and managing relationships with provincial and national government partners, NGO partners, and private sector partners. Both North Sulawesi and Aceh Marine programs focus on MPA establishment and improvement; sustainable small-scale fisheries management; coral/vibrant reefs & fisheries monitoring as well as shark and ray conservation.
Specific Tasks/Output Deliverables
- Design, lead and coordinate the technical implementation and administration of all projects to deliver approved work plans and activities in a timely manner in line with budgets including annual and monthly work plans and budgets with key staff in Aceh (depending to the Manager’s assignment location)
- Oversee the implementation of a small WCS project in Karimunjawa National Park, which is managed by a project coordinator.
- Support and lead the WCS staff in recruiting, managing and supervising field staff in close coordination with HR Manager, Marine Advisor, and Provincial Coordinators including development of Terms of Reference, individual work plans and conducting performance evaluations, planning and monitoring work and travel schedules.
- Review and submit activity reports and assist in preparing final project narrative/progress report, in coordination with WCS Marine Program Advisor(s) and Deputy Country Director, as required by donors and/or stakeholders, in Indonesian and/or English.
- Develop and maintain a productive working relationship with the Marine Cross-Cutting Program (consisting of Policy, Science, Fisheries and Shark & Ray program/projects)
- Liaise and establish good working relationships and/or strategic partnerships with key stakeholders including marine and fisheries agencies, NGOs and the private sector (ie seafood trading companies and traders), to ensure the successful coordination, implementation, and follow-up of project activities, as well as the mobilization of additional resources to the projects
- Select, manage and supervise partners and or sub-contractors to implement activities and produce deliverables in timely fashion, including developing Terms of Reference, providing assistance in their selection and recruitment process, coordinating sub-contractor work, and monitor and evaluate their deliverables, and ensure that they are submitted in a timely manner
- Provide technical and facilitating support to meetings, seminars, workshops and management bodies and formally represent WCS as necessary in such meetings, workshops, and conferences.
- Document lessons learned from project implementation and develop briefing notes for the Country/Deputy Director to improve the implementation and coordination of project activities, support decision-making processes, and knowledge management.
- Working together with WCS Communication team, deliver regular updates on the project activities, including news flashes and updates for WCS-IP website and other social media postings, annual reports, and articles for brochures, leaflets, and printing media.
- Review and submit activity reports and assist in preparing project financial reports with Finance Manager as required by donors and/or stakeholders, in Indonesian and/or English.
- Working together with WCS Grant and Budget Management Team Write and publish research findings and scientific papers in close coordination with line supervisor on a regular basis in policy papers and technical reports
- Provide inputs regarding the vision and strategy for WCS Indonesia. Participate as a member of WCS Management Team to plan, implement, monitor, and periodically update WCS’ strategic approach to conservation in Indonesia
- Develop project proposals, by compiling information, documenting lessons from projects, developing future strategies and sharing and discussing ideas and concept notes with the WCS Marine Program Advisor(s) and Country/Deputy Director.
- Undertake any other duties, as assigned by the line manager.
Please note that the above Job Description constitutes only the main responsibilities and duties of this position. As WCS Indonesia Program is a flexible organization, staffs members are expected to undertake any other tasks that are allocated to them but which are not part of their regular Job Description.
The Program Manager(s) will be based in: Aceh (for Aceh Program Manager) Both position will required regular travel to Bogor or project sites.
The ideal candidate will have
- A passion for conservation and a willingness to change the world, with high levels of motivation, vast experience and professionalism in project management
- At least 5 - 10 years experience in managing conservation programs and teams.
- A PhD (2 years experience) or MSc (5 years experience) in marine science, fisheries, conservation biology or related field.
- Proven ability to plan and implement large and complex programs and manage associated budgets
- Good interpersonal skills to deal with a diverse group of contacts, and ability to be a team player.
- Able to work in multi-culture work environment and able to lead multi background staff member.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both Indonesian and English are essential.
The position is for Indonesian nationals only. WCS encourages people to apply with management experience in sectors other than the non-governmental and/or conservation sectors. Remuneration will be commensurate with skills and experience and the position comes with full set of employment benefits. WCS is an equally opportunities employer.
Please send a covering letter and CV in English to email@example.com not later than 16 January 2019 stating in the subject line “Marine Program Manager Aceh_(name)”. Please also include a portfolio of your previous work or links to blogs or galleries online. No correspondence, only short-listed candidates will be notified.