TERMS OF REFERENCE
Position : Communication Officer
Program : Communications
Line manager : Senior Communications Officer
Key internal relations :
Location : Bogor
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is a New York-based international conservation organization currently working in more than 60 countries worldwide. WCS has a distinguished history of scientists exploring and saving wildlife in some of the most remote and wild places remaining on Earth. The Wildlife Conservation Society Indonesia Program (WCS-IP) was founded in the early 1990s and has contributed substantially to support the Government of Indonesia in the conservation of biodiversity in Indonesia.
WCS-IP currently has programs focusing on Sumatra including in Gunung Leuser National Park and Bukit Barisan Selatan National Park and Way Kambas National Park. The WCS-IP Sulawesi program focuses on Sulawesi’s unique biodiversity especially in Bogani Nani Wartabone National Park and Tangkoko Nature reserve. WCS-IP also conduct program in Aceh, Java, Nusa Tenggara Barat, North Maluku, and a program for turtle conservation in Rote Island, East Nusa Tenggara.
To ensure WCS-IP has effective internal and external communications processes which maintain coherence inside the organization and raises the profile of the organization and its partners externally, a Communication Officer is needed to advance the WCS-IP conservation agenda through targeted, innovative communications that reach and catalyze change in key constituencies. The Communications Officer will be contributed – under the supervision of Communications Manager-- in building and maintaining a positive profile for WCS-IP work through impactful media and outreach across key external online and offline communications channels; delivering compelling stories and events that reinforce conservation work, while supporting regular and efficient sharing and exchange of information.
Specific Tasks and Outputs/Deliverable
- Monitor media includes WCS-IP and related partner’s activity coverage on daily basis.
- Contribute in producing communication products for the media such as articles, press release, etc.
- Contribute in organizing project site visits, facilitate data request, photo coverage and TV footage and utilizing both web-based and traditional media as appropriate, monitor and evaluate the use and effectiveness of media materials.
- Respond to media queries and liaise with Communication Team/ related programs to answer them.
- Contribute in maintaining a library of media coverage, clippings, photo/ video within WCS-IP project.
- Altogether with Communication Unit, develop digital communication strategy and execute the plan.
- Contribute in digital communication activity such as updating and maintaining WCS-IP website and social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, blog), include but not limited to make editorial plan and live reporting for certain events.
- Provide a complete and accurate monthly statistic of WCS-IP social media platforms to determine audience engagements.
- Contribute in producing stories that potential to be displayed on WCS-IP website and social media.
- Provide support for program request in producing communication materials such as videos, infographics, posters, newsletter, etc.
- Maintain WCS-IP’s vendors list and facilitate the program team working with vendors.
- Assist in design process of souvenir and all publication matters to comply with WCS’s brand guideline.
- Organize events such as meetings, seminars, workshops, trainings, discussions, and public outreach activities.
- Report in the form of minutes of meetings and document translation.
- Maintain appropriate communications with WCS-IP key stakeholders and partners, including local and national government agencies, environmental and development NGOs, and media.
- Maintain communication with other programs within WCS-IP, as required.
- Undertake any other duties, as assigned by the supervisor.
This position will be based in Bogor, with occasional travel to project sites across WCS-IP. The ideal candidate should have:
- At least 2-year experience in communications activity for NGO, corporates or public relations agency
- Graduated from Communication, Sociology, Psychology or any social science undergraduate degree
- An ability to communicate clear, consistent messages in a variety of media – including press releases, social media content, newsletters, brochures and guides – and experience in developing and managing such messaging
- Good interpersonal skills to deal with a diverse group of contacts, and ability to be a team player
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both Indonesian and English are essential
The position is for Indonesian nationals only. WCS encourages people to apply with communications experience in sectors other than the non-governmental and/or conservation sectors. Remuneration will be commensurate with skills and experience and the position comes with full set of employment benefits. WCS is an equally opportunities employer.
Please send a covering letter and CV in English to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 3 September 2021, stating in the subject line “Communications Officer_(name)”
No correspondence, only short-listed candidates will be notified.