TERMS OF REFERENCE
Position: Senior Program Coordinator
Program: Sustainable Landscapes Program
Line manager: Program Manager
Term: One year, with renewal depending on performance
Location: Bogor, with travel to field sites
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) has a distinguished history of experts exploring and saving wildlife in some of the most remote and wild places remaining on Earth. WCS Indonesia Program (WCS-IP) has significantly grown over the last decades, and contributed substantially in supporting the Government of Indonesia (GoI), particularly Ministry of Environment and Forestry (MoEF) in conserving Indonesia’s biodiversity. WCS-IP currently has programs focusing on landscape/seascape conservation, species conservation actions and engaging local communities.
WCS-IP’s Sustainable Landscapes Program aims to support GoI to address land and forest cover change and improve community livelihoods in priority landscapes through partnering with the government, private sector, other civil society organisations, and communities to develop land and forest cover change -free commodity production and supply chains. We are seeking a dynamic, highly organized and experienced Senior Program Coordinator to help implement and grow our Sustainable Landscapes Program in Indonesia, to help demonstrate the success of existing initiatives and to scale them where appropriate.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The Senior Program Coordinator will support WCS-IP’s efforts to reduce current and future threats to biodiversity and forest integrity in our landscapes driven by the unsustainable production of agricultural commodities. The Senior Program Coordinator will support the Program Manager to design and deliver projects that have a measurable impact in reducing threats, improving community livelihoods and supporting biodiversity conservation in our landscapes. More specifically this includes:
- Support the implementation of a set of viable interventions that address commodity-driven land and forest cover change in WCS priority landscapes, while supporting farmer livelihoods and community development, including oversight of BBS KEKAL; WCS’s flagship Sustainable Landscapes project in southern Sumatra, as well as landscape initiatives in Aceh and North Sulawesi.
- Work with the Landscape Coordinators across sites to develop detailed implementation plans for projects within the Sustainable Landscapes portfolio in line with agreed log frames and the Sustainable Landscapes Program strategy.
- Provide line management and oversight of Landscape Coordinators in BBS, Singkil (Aceh) and North Sulawesi to deliver project activities.
- Oversee the implementation of project plans in line with agreed log frames and support adaptive management in response to impacts, lessons and challenges.
- Support the Program Manager in oversight of the allocation of resources, including financial resources, in line with project needs and donor requirements.
- Work with Landscape Coordinators and the Sustainable Landscapes team and support teams to develop financial reports in a timely and efficient manner.
- Working with the Landscape Coordinators, ensure that projects apply strong social and environmental safeguards in line with WCS policies and those of our partners.
- Work with the M&E specialist to track project progress and adapt strategies and approaches to ensure effective and impactful project implementation.
- Oversees the Landscape Coordinators to document lessons learned from the implementation of project activities and to inform the formulation of the Sustainable Landscapes program strategy, WCS IP strategy, and other relevant publication materials.
- Work with the Program Manager and Landscape Coordinators to produce high quality project deliverables and activities reports in line with project implementation plans and donor requirements.
- Where needed, support Landscape Coordinators with strategic stakeholder engagement (with government, companies and communities) in landscapes in support of project objectives.
Program strategy support
- Support the WCS-IP Sustainable Landscapes Program to design and adapt strategies in response to threats and opportunities in key landscapes linked to commodity production (including palm oil, coffee, cocoa, rice and coconuts).
- Support the Program Manager to develop project concepts and proposals, as needed.
- Where needed, represent WCS in relevant meetings, workshops and discussions at the local, national and international level, as needed.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum Master Degree in studies related to Forestry, Environment, Agriculture or Development.
- Minimum 7 years working on issues linked to forest conservation, agricultural sustainability or a related field.
- Proven extensive experience in project and team management
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to manage adaptively
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrable field experience of working with communities, particularly smallholder farmers, and diverse stakeholders, including the private sector.
- Capable of working well and to a high standard under pressure and capable of meeting deadlines
- Excellent written and spoken both English and Bahasa Indonesia.
WCS is an equal opportunity employer and the organization complies with all employment and labor laws and regulations that prohibit discrimination in hiring and ensures that candidates from all backgrounds are fairly and consistently considered during the recruitment process.
Please send a covering letter and CV in English to email@example.com , stating in the subject line “Senior Program Coordinator_(name)” no later than 20 October 2021.