TERMS OF REFERENCE
Position/Jabatan : North Maluku Livelihood Senior Officer
Program : Marine
Based in/Lokasi : Ternate, North Maluku
Line Manager/Manajer Lini : Marine Program Manager for North Maluku and North Sulawesi
Supervisor : North Maluku Marine Program (Senior) Coordinator
Duration of Assignment : One year– with possible extension
Employment Status : Full time
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) has a distinguished history of experts exploring and saving wildlife in some of the most remote and wild places remaining on Earth. WCS Indonesia Program (WCS-IP) has significantly grown over the last decades, and contributed substantially in supporting the Government of Indonesia (GoI), particularly Ministry of Environment and Forestry (MoEF) in conserving Indonesia’s biodiversity. WCS-IP currently has programs focusing on landscape/seascape conservation, species conservation actions and engaging local communities.
In North Maluku, WCS-IP is currently working closely with conservation authorities, Balai Konservasi Sumber Daya Alam (BKSDA) Maluku and the local government to enhance conservation initiatives and encourage communities in the areas to practice sustainable natural resources and increase their knowledge of Marine Protected Area and increase marine conservation incentives for local communities.
In order to achieve our overall goal of saving wildlife and wild places, WCS-IP is currently seeking for qualified candidates to fill the following vacancy:
The Livelihood Senior Officer will directly report to the North Maluku Program Coordinator and coordinate closely and significantly with livelihood specialist within WCS IP, Program Manager and advisor(s) of the WCS Indonesia Marine team.
The Livelihood Senior Officer will be responsible for facilitate development of sustainable livelihood modes in targeted villages to ensure minimum impact of conservation and management initiatives, seek opportunity of incentives mechanism development to support effective management of MPA as well as providing benefit for the key stakeholders through sustainable tourism, sustainable fisheries or other potential sustainable economic activities.
The Livelihood Senior Officer will be providing technical support to project field team and targeted villages on initiating and enhancing sustainable livelihood that support conservation effort and minimize its negative impact in the area. The role is including but not limited to: develop livelihood concept, implementation roadmap, engagement strategy with community and partners, monitoring activity implementation, ToR development of activities, documentation of project outputs, development technical report from the field work, assist communication and coordination with partners, and other project related activities. The Senior Officer will be providing these services to ensure the project target and implementation are maintained in an effective and efficient manner.
- Coordinate with Coordinator, field staff and technical support staff to assess, design and implement sustainable livelihood activities, includes ensure smooth implementation of activities related to the information gathering, assessment and communication in relation to the development of sustainable livelihood within the WCS targeted areas
- Responsible to ensure strong engagement with key stakeholders and community as well as facilitate in knowledge transfer as well as maintaining good and strong partnership with relevant stakeholders.
- Facilitate the implementation of project safeguard and WCS approaches to ensure minimum impact from conservation effort and strengthen capacity of key partners from government, academic institution, and other related stakeholders as well as support capacity building for community collective action to support sustainable management of marine and coastal resources.
- Assist communication between the local community and local government on the planning and implementation of sustainable livelihood practices to support the management of conservation area and sustainable use of marine and coastal resources.
- Support awareness raising activities by communicating with the community in WCS targeted area related to sustainable livelihood implementation.
The Livelihood Senior Officer is specifically responsible for:
- Responsible in development of sustainable livelihood strategy (includes Livelihood Restitution Plan (LRP), Village Action Plan (VAP)) to ensure program sustainability to local stakeholders to build enabling condition for sustainable fisheries practice and MPA management effectiveness.
- Assess and facilitate the integration of the sustainable livelihood activity within the community with village economic institution (BUMDes, cooperatives, community business group- KUB, etc.) and available livelihood program in the district or provincial government or related local stakeholders, to ensure the ownership and the sustainability of the sustainable livelihood activity within the targeted communities
- Responsible in the implementation of sustainable livelihood activities in compliance with WCS project safeguard requiremment and strengthened capacity building of sustainable livelihood in community groups (fishers group, BUMDes, cooperatives, Pokdarwis, etc.) to ensure development of community-based sustainable livelihood in the targeted villages.
- Responsible to ensure community support through a written commitment (e.g. village agreement or other document that fits the local context) as a contribution of sustainable livelihood for conservation effort to support the sustainability of coastal and marine natural resources.
- Responsible to develop partnership and collaboration with related local stakeholders (local NGO, community group, villages, etc.) to wider the project impact and ensure sustainability of the approach and initiatives delivers during the project continues to be applied in North Maluku.
- Responsible in designing and developing the sustainable market for the sustainable livelihood model and provide support in development of financing mechanism for conservation effort in the targeted area.
- Support the Program Coordinator to monitor the implementation of sustainable livelihood activities and ensure good communication and coordination with related government key agencies and stakeholders (BKSDA, Provincial, District government, etc).
- Deliver regular updates and reports on the project activities, including providing inputs to annual report, donor report, (includes review of field staffs reports, publications), ensure high level quality to meet WCS’s standard and in a timely manner.
- Supervise a working team, consultants, coordinators, community officers, field facilitators and enumerators to ensure high quality of team work and high quality deliverables during implementation of sustainable livelihood activities in targeted area.
Reports and Outputs
Periodic Progress Report
The Livelihood Senior Officer submits periodic progress reports on activities carried out under his responsibility every month and three months to the supervisor or other related staff.
Data and Information
Help collect data and information (if needed) related to planning and activity implementation of sustainable livelihood to support Marine Protected Area and other natural resources management.
- Apply and promote WCS’s values on respect, transparency and accountability, innovation, inclusion and diversity, collaboration, and integrity in daily work
- Act as an exemplary model to other staff in the application of organizational values and compliance.
- Participate wholeheartedly in the general activities of WCS-IP particularly events and activities that require the full support and participation of all staff members, whether or not the focus of any particular event or activity has any bearing on the job description and assigned project objectives and activities
- Undertake any other duties as assigned by supervisor and line management coordination if required
The Livelihood Senior Officer will be based in Ternate with regular travel to the project sites.
- Have work experience of at least 5 (five) years in the field of community development to local/ coastal community and conservation efforts in coastal and marine area.
- Has a bachelor education background in the fields of social science (community facilitation/ development, economic, or social work) combined with conservation, fisheries and marine/ coastal science development, community development and facilitation works; or other bachelor education that is in harmony with a combination of similar work, master degree will be an advantage.
- Good understanding of the principal of marine/ coastal conservation and sustainable fisheries.
- Have good ability in communicating verbally or in writing in Indonesian and local languages (or willing to learn it as part of work).
- Able to operate computers and software (MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel and MS Power Point).
- Good interpersonal skills to deal with a diverse group of contacts (including local stakeholders and communities.
- Able to communicate with broad range of people and finding solutions of problems.
- Ability to work under pressure, and ensure the high quality of the project deliverables according to the planned timeline, with minimal supervision.
- Able to work individually and in teams
- Have a vision in supporting the conservation of biological resources and sustainable management of natural resources in Indonesia
- Have experiences working in eastern Indonesia, especially North Maluku will be an advantage
The position is for Indonesian nationals only. WCS encourages people to apply with experience in sectors other than the non-governmental and/or conservation sectors. Remuneration will be commensurate with skills and experience and the position comes with full set of employment benefits. WCS is an equally opportunities employer.
Please send a covering letter and CV in English to firstname.lastname@example.org , stating in the subject line “NM Livelihood Senior Officer_(name)” no later than 5 January 2022.