TERMS OF REFERENCE
Job Title : Resource Use Officer
Job Grade : Band 3 - Class Professional Core
Base : Ternate - North Maluku, with regular travel to the project sites
Duration : Full time, 1 year, with possible extension
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) has a distinguished history of experts exploring and saving wildlife in some of the most remote and wild places remaining on Earth. WCS Indonesia Program (WCS-IP) has significantly grown over the last decades, and contributed substantially in supporting the Government of Indonesia (GoI), particularly Ministry of Environment and Forestry (MoEF) in conserving Indonesia’s biodiversity. WCS-IP currently has programs focusing on landscape/seascape conservation, species conservation actions and engaging local communities.
In North Maluku, WCS-IP is currently working closely with conservation authorities, Balai Konservasi Sumber Daya Alam (BKSDA) Maluku and the local governments to enhance conservation initiatives and encourage communities in the areas to practice sustainable natural resources and increase their knowledge of conservation area and increase conservation incentives for local communities. We also support government to increase the effectiveness of conservation area management, ecology, utilization of natural resources, and economy-social survey as based of conservation actions, with key species.
To achieve our overall goal of saving wildlife and wild places, WCS-IP is currently seeking for qualified candidates to fill the Resource Use Officer position.
- The Resource Use Officer will directly report to the Senior Officer in North Maluku and coordinate closely and significantly with program coordinator/program lead, MPA/PA team, livelihoods team, enumerator(s), specialist within WCS IP, and other staff.
- The Resource Use Officer will be responsible for assisting development and implementation of the program to improve effectivity management, support and promote socially and environmentally responsible conservation, natural resources use, and target commodities through specific programmes in target area.
- The Resource Use Officer will be providing technical support to project field team and living in targeted villages on initiating and implementation program that support conservation effort and minimize its negative impact in the area. The role includes but not limited to: develop sustainable natural resources concept, implement the road map, engage strategy with community, monitor activity implementation, develop ToR of activities, document project outputs, develop technical report from the field work, assist communication and coordination with partners, and other project related activities. The officer will provide these services to ensure the project target and implementation are maintained in an effective and efficient manner.
- Assist North Maluku Program Coordinator/Lead, and Senior Officer to design and implement project activities (budget and work package planning);
- Prepare activity reports and assist in preparing financial reports as required by donors and/or stakeholders, written or verbal, as well as technical report;
- Coordinate with supervisor, field staff, and technical support staff to assess and implement activities of the program, including to ensure smooth implementation of activities related to the information gathering, assessment and communication in the development of sustainable livelihood within the WCS targeted areas;
- Conduct monitoring and evaluation program/activities in targeted village and deliver regular updates on the project activities to supervisor and Program Coordinator/ Lead;
- Oversee enumerators and consultants as required for activities implementations in field sites to ensure high quality performance.
Stakeholder Engagement and Communication:
- Liaise and establish good working relationships with local government, communities in target villages, community groups, fishers, middleman/collectors, and other key stakeholders, to ensure the successful coordination, implementation, and follow-up of project activities, as well as the mobilization of additional resources to the project;
- Assist to ensure program’s strong engagement with key stakeholders and community as well as facilitate in knowledge transfer and maintaining good and strong partnership with relevant stakeholders.
- Organize and facilitate meeting and workshop (formal and informal), training, and workshop (formal and informal) for stakeholders and community, especially at village, sub-district, and district level.
- Assist in supervising consultants or sub-grant if needed for the implementation of activities in North Maluku and to ensure the quality of outputs (e.g., documents, reports, database) meet WCS’s expected standard.
- Apply and promote WCS’s values on respect, transparency and accountability, innovation, inclusion and diversity, collaboration, and integrity in daily work.
- Act as an exemplary model to other staff in the application of organizational values and compliance.
- Participate wholeheartedly in the general activities of WCS-IP particularly events and activities that require the full support and participation of all staff members, whether the focus of any particular event or activity has any bearing on the job description and assigned project objectives.
- Undertake any other duties as assigned by supervisor and line management coordination if required.
- Provide support and approach to empower villages for program sustainability and strong engagement with key stakeholders: government agencies, village government, key local stakeholders, local universities, and private sectors to develop sustainable natural resource management, especially at the district level.
- Coordinate and strong engagement with government agencies, village government, fishers, private sector, local universities and NGOs to implement the program objectives and sustainable livelihoods through Staff Requisition for Resource Use Officer in North Maluku resource co-management.
- Support the implementation of incentive and private sector engagement for developing natural resource co-management and sustainable livelihoods.
- Responsible to ensure community support through a written commitment (e.g., village agreement or other document that fits the local context) as a contribution of community based natural resource management and sustainable livelihood for conservation effort.
- Provide support to the team for local engagement and outreach to stakeholders in the target locations, including to assist on awareness and communications strategies together with WCS related staff and partners.
- Assist to develop of capacity building strategy and its implementation to support the natural resources management, livelihoods and Pokmaswas, including support in the improvement of monitoring data methodology to be owned and applied by local stakeholders.
- Assist to oversee the monitoring data collections by enumerators or local stakeholders in North Maluku to ensure high quality of data, including support for vessel registration applied in targeted villages on the WCS working sites.
- Monitor the implementation of natural resources management and sustainable livelihood activities and ensure good communication and coordination with related government agencies and stakeholders.
- Responsible to develop partnership and collaboration with related local stakeholders (local NGO, community group, villages, etc.) to wider the project impact and ensure the sustainability of approaches and initiatives delivered during the project continues to apply in North Maluku.
Reports and Deliverables:
- Submit periodic activities progress reports under his/her responsibility to the supervisor and related staff in monthly basis as well as support the development of donors and key partners report as required.
- Help in collecting data and information (if needed) related to planning and activity implementation to support natural resources management.
- Back up files and directories that summarize the office activity and correspondence (in monthly basis) into database repository.
- To assist fieldwork and data assimilation as required by any team member.
- To assist in the day-to-day co-ordination of field logistics.
- To participate in internal and external meetings as required.
- To participate in design, data entry, data analysis (if needed), interpretation and report writing.
- To participate and prepare budget planning and finance reports as required.
- At all times have a considerate, generous, and helpful approach with all team members.
- Undergraduate degree in marine science, fisheries, social, environment, or related field.
- Have at least 5 (five) years’ work experience in the field of community development, fisheries, and conservation effort with excellent skills in community and/or stakeholder engagement.
- Good understanding of the principal of marine/coastal conservation, sustainable nature resource, and familiar with fish monitoring/collecting data.
- Have good ability in communicating verbally or writing in Indonesian/local languages.
- Computer skills mandatory. Able to operate computers and software (MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Power Point).
- Good interpersonal skills to deal with a diverse group of contacts (including local stakeholders and communities). • Able to communicate with broad range of people and finding solutions of problems.
- Ability to work under pressure and ensure the high quality of the project deliverables according to the planned timeline, and able to work with minimum supervision.
- Able to work in individually and teams.
- Have a vision in supporting the conservation of biological resources and sustainable management of natural resources in Indonesia.
- Have experiences working in North Maluku will be an advantage.
- Able to multitask, establish priorities and meet deadlines.
- Commit to stay in the village(s).
The position is for Indonesian nationals only. WCS encourages people to apply with experience in sectors other than the non-governmental and/or conservation sectors. Remuneration will be commensurate with skills and experience and the position comes with full set of employment benefits. WCS is an equally opportunities employer.
Please send a covering letter and CV in English to firstname.lastname@example.org stating in the subject line “Resource Use Officer_(name)” at the latest on 28 June 2022. No correspondence as only short-listed candidates will be notified.